Friday, November 9, 2012

Merry Michigan Day

WARNING: This blog contains impressive football knowledge by me, Holly Karhoff.  You may be very, very, very, very impressed.

Well the day of all days finally came.  In Geoff's nearly 26 years of living and loving of everything U of M he finally got to see a Michigan football game in real life.  Granted, it was at the University of Nebraska's Memorial Stadium, but you take what you can get.  I think he barely slept at all the night before; it truly was like a kid before Christmas.  And I have to admit, I was kind of excited myself.  Since marrying him, I have become a big Michigan fan by default.  Who knew I would look so stunning in Maze and Blue?

We got all layered up and decked out to head out to the game.  Of course we wanted to take in the atmosphere of game day downtown and chose to eat at a new pizza place called Toppers.  I think what cracked me up the most was all the "WELCOME TO NEBRASKA!"s we received.  We finally got tired of explaining that we lived just 10 minutes away and started saying "THANKS!"  Plus it was fun to see other Michigan fans and exchange our "GO BLUE!"s. 

I, my self, was really super nervous for the game.  I wanted Michigan to beat Nebraska so badly.  We beat them last year, were ranked number 22 to an unranked Nebraska, and just the weekend before Michigan received its 900th win! So you would think the odds were in Michigan's favor.  Things were going good in the first quarter.  Although Michigan was close to scoring a TD several times, they all ended in field goals.  This was impressive since their kicker is an underclassman and is only capable of making field goals within 25 to 30 yards.  He pulled it off for us, many times!

Then, the unthinkable happened.  Denard Robinson got injured.  At first, we all thought it was just a minor injury and would be back in the game in the second half.  But after the half, he came out in a coat.  NOOOOOOOO DENARD!!!!  WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!???????!?!?!?!?!?!?  Turns out, messing up a nerve in your elbow is not so good if you are a quarter back.  Maybe if he would tie his shoelaces every once in a while you might not be so susceptible to tripping and leading to an injury.  Just sayin.....

The game went on with Nebraska  scoring a few TDs and ended in a 23-9 final score.  Michigan went for three consecutive games with out a TD.  Sad day for the Mighty Blue.   I think Geoff was ok with the outcome, considering the majority of Michigan's offense (Denard Robinson) was gone the majority of the game.  All in all, it was a pretty fantastic day despite the loss.  If was fun to get to cheer on our team in real life, AND I got free popcorn at the end of the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment